Basic "tips" to get your gas stove or fireplace ready:
- Clean the outside vent before you use your gas fireplace each season. Vents can get torn and partially blocked by leaves, spider webs and birds’ nests. These small items as well as loose brick mortar can be sucked into the vent, block critical air passages and cause the unit to either burn improperly or not at all.
- Clean the glass at least once a month. An abundance of build-up on the glass can be an indication that the fireplace is not burning as efficiently as it should. An inefficient gas fireplace wastes money and may give off fatal levels of carbon monoxide.
- Tighten the glass. If your fireplace’s glass is not held tightly in place, poisonous carbon monoxide may escape into your home. Moisture and dust can also infect the fireplace’s combustion chamber affecting its efficiency and operation. Also make sure the glass is not scratched or chipped. In some models, the glass can actually explode if it has such imperfections.
- Position your logs properly. If your ceramic logs are positioned improperly, the flame may generate unhealthy levels of carbon monoxide.
- All unvented gas stoves or fireplaces should be equipped with Oxygen Depletion Sensors that shut off the gas when the level of oxygen in the room gets too low. So, if your fireplace ever shuts off for no apparent reason and/or you have a slight headache or dizziness, you may have a carbon monoxide problem. Get some fresh air immediately and have your stove or fireplace inspected.
|"TIPS" are just suggestions for your general information, WoodHeatStoves.com will not be held liable and use of this information is at your own risk.|